Sunday, January 4, 2009

Play Day

I tell people that come into the gym all the time that the best thing about functional conditioning is that what you do in the gym translates to what you want to do outside the gym.. This isn't a marketing ploy. This is a fact. I went skate skiing today for the first time this year.. Also known as ski-skating in Canada, (eh?) and Nordic Skiing in the Olympics.. It's like skating on cross country skis using really long ski poles to help you along. It's an absolutely phenomenal workout. Bicycle racers love it because it's one of the few low impact sports where you can get your heart rate up in the anaerobic zone for extended periods of time. There's a great nordic center at Waterville Valley that we go to. I think they have about 50km of groomed trails.. Today we covered about 20-25km in 2.5 hours. I was wondering what kind of shape I'd be in for skiing since I wasn't able to do as much biking this past year which is a great conditioning complement to the skiing. Instead I've been spending 5 or 6 days a week performing functional strength training at the gym. I'm happy to say that I was in better shape for the start of a ski season than I have ever been before.. I didn't get any of the typical first day shin splints or lower back pains, I was flying up hills.. For anybody out there who has tried to ski uphill, you know how difficult this is. It was an awesome day and I felt fantastic! And it's all because of the type of functional training I do at Dynamic Strength and Conditioning.. So when I tell you that this stuff works and it makes you able to function better at whatever it is you want to do in real life, you better believe it.

All the best,
kevin

No comments: