Sunday, October 26, 2008

Don't Go Back to Rockville.....

Ever hear the REM song "Don't Go Back to Rockville"? I never understood what Michael Stipe had against the town of Rockville, but to be honest, I can never understand what any of REM's songs mean anyways.. I love their stuff but none of their lyrics make any sense. But today, I can understand why nobody should go back to Rockville.. I'm sitting here with an article in front of me that talks about the Funfit Family Fitness Center in Rockville that has kid sized exercise bikes, treadmills, air stepper, and hydraulic strength training equipment... Every time I read it I have to shake my head...

(This is me reading the article shaking my head)

Am I the only one who has a HUGE problem with kids on treadmills and exercise bikes? Apparently, Diana Ennen of Margate, FL doesn't have a problem with it.. She signed her 10 year old daughter up at her health club where she uses the stair stepper and hand weights.. Diana's comment... "Her clothes fit better. You can tell she's firmer.".... You can tell she's firmer???? Your 10 year old daughter?? Sounds like Diana squeezes her daughter like she's a tomato in the produce rack.. My question for people is why take a bad idea, like starting exercising on machines as an adult, and make it worse by having your children do it too.. Damn, Diana, I know the weather is really awful in Florida, but on the couple of sunny, warm days you do get down there why not take your daughter to the playground? Hmmm, what an alternative idea that is.. 

The gym has been growing on a daily basis.. New people coming in every day. Everybody that comes through the door is having a great experience and they're telling all their friends.. You know why? Because there's no machines, they're getting the best workouts of their lives, and they're having fun doing it because, as challenging as the workouts are, they're playful. Skipping rope, doing burpees, climbing ropes, jumping on stuff, doing exercises on gymnastic rings. It all brings us back to a time when we were fitter, more mobile, and happier. It's all natural, full body movements. I don't think there's one person that I've trained that hasn't said on at least one occasion "I haven't done that since I was a kid". And it's always with a smile on their face. People comment on their increase in energy and the positive, supportive atmosphere at the gym. I'm not lying when I tell you we're changing lives at Dynamic Strength and Conditioning. 

As for Rockville??? Like Michael said, "Don't go back there..."

All the best,
Kevin

No comments: