Saturday, September 20, 2008

Time to Get Creative

I sat down with the laptop to put my thoughts in a blog and I turned the TV on and they're showing FarmAid live from the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA which first made me think of how much better it would sound as the Dynamic Strength and Conditioning Center. Some day....
So the first two acts they put on stage while I'm sitting here is Arlo Guthrie who looks like he's old enough to be Arlo Guthrie's grandfather and they follow him up with Jerry Lee Lewis who has bags under his eyes that you could fit a roll of quarters in.. So this got me thinking what will I look like when I'm 120 and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to look way better than these geezers. I'll guarantee you they've never lifted a kettlebell or medicine ball and Jerry Lee Lewis probably hasn't performed a full body exercise since he was dating his 14 year old cousin.

So I'm getting real close to getting the gym open and it's been taking every waking moment. I'm even finding it difficult to get my own workouts in. Granted, the type of work I'm doing around the gym is pretty active, especially the fact that I have to go up and down 4 floors of stairs every time I come and go... That's right, there's no elevator to the gym which is an added benefit to all you physical culturists on the functional conditioning bandwagon.. And the best thing about it is that the 67 stair journey to the gym is free! I'm thinking of trying to power wheel up the stairs..... backwards.... (video coming soon) 

Lately I've been having to get creative to get my workouts in. In the gym I've brought up a jumprope, power wheel and a couple kettlebells and I hung up a set of gymnastic rings which are one of my favorite things to play on. But there's so much to do and so little time at this point to do it (trying to open Sept 29) that it's still tough to dedicate time to working out. The other day here's what I did.. I was painting windows (again). Each window has 36 individual panes framed out that need painting. So, after every 3rd pane I cut in I would get off the ladder and do 3 one arm pushups on the right and 3 more on the left.. Back up the ladder for 3 more panes, back down for 3 more one arm pushups on each side. Once I completed my 6th set of one arm pushups I started doing some ring work. I've decided that I want to be able to do back levers and front levers on the rings so I'm starting with the back lever.. I can get a good tucked back lever and I can get it with one leg out straight, but I'm not there with two straight legs yet.. Anyway, I did 6 rounds of back lever work, one round after every 3 window panes completed.. Total workout:
- 36 one arm pushups, 6x3 on each arm
- 6 rounds of back lever work

The next day I was also strapped for time but luckily I'm never short on things that need to be carried up the stairs.. I made 6 trips hauling awkward loads up 67 stairs.. One of my favorite runs were one with a 5 gallon bucket of paint on my shoulder and two 12kg kettlebells in my right hand for something close to 110 pounds total. The other one was a run with a medicine ball bag strapped over my shoulders with 50 pounds of medicine balls in it, a 20kg kettlebell in one hand and a 12kg and 8kg in the other for a total weight of 138 pounds. I've been weighing in at about 146 lately so that's not a bad load up four floors of stairs for a guy my size. It was good to know that in case of emergency I could carry a person up stairs if necessary. Total workout was 6 trips up the stairs with a total load of about 400 pounds. And I also carried two 8 foot sheets of sheetrock (160 pounds) 100 yards so I could lean them up against a telephone pole with the word "free" painted on them. (I ordered a little too much and had no use for it). They were gone in a couple hours.

There you go.. Two days of creativity to fit some good old fashioned functional conditioning into a tight work schedule. The opportunities out there are endless.

That's all for now.. Back to Farm Aid... Holy crap! It's the ghost of Willie Nelson! 

All the best,
kevin

No comments: