Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Not How Hard You Work, It's How Hard You Work When Nobody's Looking

Ever been to the land of shiny chrome machines and mirrors and seen "that guy" on the pec deck doing flys and grunting and groaning like he's giving birth to a watermelon.. You can go back every week for a year and see the same person, lifting the same weight, giving birth to the same watermelon.. Wonder how "hard" he works when nobody's looking. In most cases, he's not working that hard which is why he's lifting the same weight week after week. The grunting and groaning is all for show. Don't be "that guy"... Be the guy who busts his ass when nobody's looking..

Had a very productive day today. Started the day with a 90 minute Bikram Yoga session.. Still not used to the heat or the smell.. Probably never will be. But it's still really good. Then this afternoon I did the workout that I intend to give the Spartan session tonight. It's a 15:15 workout where you work for 15 seconds and rest for 15 seconds. Perform 10 rounds of each exercise (5:00min) before moving on to the next exercise. The exercises were:

Double Kettlebell Swings
16# Sledgehammer strikes on the tire
Double Kettlebell Snatches
Burpees

I'm not allowing myself to snatch anything more than a 16kg for at least another month until my forearm is 100%, so going with double kettlebells is a great way to really crank up the intensity. And doing double 16kgs is a pretty good weight for me anyways at about 50% bodyweight. Looking forward to being able to go heavier with these soon :)  I was getting 8 swings per round, 5 or 6 snatches per round, 8 sledge hits per round, and 5 burpees per round. Totals for the circuit:
80 swings with 32kg
80 sledge hits with 16# hammer
55 snatches with 32kg
50 burpees

My finisher was where I added my biggest challenge for the day.. To finish up I did 100 consecutive pistols without stopping, alternating each leg every time. Completed the 100th pistol at 4:20 minutes! These were done barefoot with bodyweight. I then did 100 corkscrews and 50 pushups..

Train hard, especially when no one's looking :)
kevin

No comments: