Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Intimidator

Intimidate: To make timid or fearful; to inspire or affect with fear; to deter, as by threats...

Ok, so now I know what "to intimidate" means.. I've been coaching athletes for 16 years and I'm now about a year into training people with Dynamic Strength and Conditioning. Over the years I've been called a lot of things, some complimentary, others not so much. That's OK. I'm comfortable with who I am and I know that I coach people, young and old, because I know I can help them better themselves. My only goal is to share what I've learned with people in the hopes that what I have to share will help to achieve their goals. My passion sometimes comes across with a little intensity ;)  I train extremely hard and I've achieved great results. I opened Dynamic Strength and Conditioning (which you can vote for as best gym of 2009 at the Hippo's website along with this blog as best blog, haha) so that I can help others achieve great results. We train pro athletes, grandmothers, college and high school athletes, regular everyday people looking to feel better than they've felt since they were kids. Everybody who trains with us regularly gets phenomenal results.. 

Let me get to my point. Over the past year I've heard on many occasions that people don't want to train with me because I intimidate them (see definition above). Me? The Intimidator? I'm 5' 5", 148 pounds, and I shave my legs during bike racing season.. Intimidating? I'm kidding, right? Wrong. I've heard it enough now that I've decided to blog about it.. So let me explain to any of you that may feel intimidated by me what it is you're really intimidated by, because it's certainly not me. Your fear lies within, it lies not with the coach. (I can't believe i just wrote that, it sounds really profound doesn't it?)... You're afraid to push yourself. You've read what I have to say. You've watched my videos. You've maybe even come in to the Best Gym of 2009 and taken part in some sessions. If you've come in and worked out with us then you've felt the pain that comes with working every muscle in your body hard. You've felt the soreness the next day, which the first few times can be pretty painful. If you've continued to come then you've also felt the increase in energy and reduction in clothes size.. Then there's those that haven't come in or have came and left because the coach is too intimidating. For those of you that would like to blame it on me and my "intimidation" you need to take a look in the mirror and introduce yourself to the real reason that you don't want to work out here. You're afraid to push yourself out of the comfort zone. Your comfort zone is located at 5.0 MPH on the treadmill among sparkling chrome and mirror-lined rooms. Your comfort zone is not located at 100 Factory St. Which is fine, because frankly, what we do at Dynamic Strength and Conditioning isn't intended for you.. 

For those of you that come to my gym and leave my kettlebells and floors soaked with your sweat, thank you. Keep coming and I'll keep pushing you. This is why I'm here. This is not intimidation. This is motivation. And there's those of you that get it, and those that don't. If you're sitting there nodding your head right now, then you get it :)

For today I started the day with a 90 minute session of Bikram Yoga. I don't like heat, I don't like humidity, and I don't like rooms that smell like a bag of hockey equipment. But I love what the Bikram Yoga has been doing for my forearm injuries and I'm going to keep suffering through it. After all, I'm pretty good at doing suffering. Later today I worked out at the gym. I started out with 20 minutes of handstand work. Hand balancing builds awesome full body strength. I had somebody comment on one of my youtube videos that hand-balancing really wasn't core work. This was obviously by somebody who can't do a handstand. Until I built real full body strength I couldn't hold a handstand for more than a couple seconds. I can now hold one for a minute and I can walk about 100 feet on my hands. This requires great core strength and control of your entire body.

I followed the handstand work with 5 sets of double rope climbs with pullups and some double kettlebell compound work. Today I combined double kb front squats, military press, and double windmills. Each compound kettlebell set was done with double 16kgs and took about 2 minutes to complete. Great full body work! 
WARNING! The videos that follow are an 8 out of 10 on the "Intimidation" scale. If you're weak at heart and enjoy time on the treadmill while watching 5 TV sets and looking at yourself in a mirror then this is not for you.





Train Hard,
Kevin

No comments: