Friday, November 7, 2008

Fun With Stairs

A couple days ago Michele and I took Jake for a walk down to the Mine Falls trails which are about a 5 minute walk from the gym.. Mine Falls is a gorgeous network of trails in the woods of New Hampshire along the lovely Nashua River. Anyway, we're walking along and we come across this really steep set of about 30 steps that link the lower trail we were on with an upper trail.. I look at things differently than most people.. Where most people would see a set of stairs, I see something that can give me a killer workout. My first thought was of the Shaolin Monk squat stair  jumps that I heard about from my friend Jon Hinds, who is full of great ideas.. Apparently, when the Shaolin Monks weren't busy doing Monk stuff, they used to do full range of motion, butt to heels, squat jumps up stairs and mountains. Trappist monks brew beer, Shaolin monks do squat jumps. I prefer the Shaolin method of killing time :)  

So I told Michele we had to come back and get a workout in on these stairs. So today was the day.. We brought Jake out for a walk, went to the stairs and I started in.. One sprint up the stairs, one set of single step squat jumps, one set of double step squat jumps, and one set of triple step squat jumps.. My legs were really burning and got a super pump.. I was pressed for time and had to get back to the gym so I couldn't do any more sets of jumps, but I did have time for one backwards bear crawl up the stairs. Very, very difficult exercise and it works every muscle in your body... Great stuff! And a lot of fun.. So next time you're out for a walk in the woods, I hope you look at things a little differently. Enjoy yourself and act like a kid.. Jump, run, climb, crawl and work up a sweat..

Train hard, have fun!
Kevin


1 comment:

probwhite said...

Great - I run by those stairs three times a week. I suppose now I'll have to do something other than pass them by!