Saturday, August 30, 2008

30 minute blast

Checking in quick with a great workout that I did this morning before I had to head out.. I was pressed for time so I wanted to make the most out of the ~30 minutes that I had to work out.. So I grabbed my jumprope and started with some light rope skipping for a warmup.. 100 revolutions forwards and 100 backwards.. I followed this up with some joint mobility for a few minutes to get the synovial fluid going to lubricate the joints... Always a good idea, especially as we get a bit older.. Now that I was warmed up I went into my workout. I alternated between the following:
-250 forward revolutions on the jump rope 
-250 backwards revolutions
-10 1-arm pushups (5 left, 5 right)
-25 regular "good" push-ups (nose, chest, hips touching the ground at the same time. slow, controlled movement, elbows in)

I went through that circuit 3 times and had some time left so i added 100 forward doubles and 100 backwards doubles on the jump rope, 25 more pushups to make it an even 100, and i added two sets of pull-ups to add a pulling exercise to the workout.

Excellent workout! Great full body cardio from the rope jumping. Explosive power from the jump rope doubles and one arm push ups. Strength and endurance from the regular pushups performed slowly and properly as well as the pull-ups. Plus it was fun. I love using my bodyweight for a kick ass workout. Plus I work on all kinds of fun things with the jump rope, crossovers, Ali shuffle, doubles, all kinds of different footwork. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I know the one arm pushups and jump rope doubles are really difficult so just switch in variations for any of the exercises that you can't do yet. Get creative. And don't forget to have fun!

Kevin

No comments: