Sunday, July 20, 2008

Challenging yourself...

Every now and then we need to challenge ourselves... It also helps when a friend challenges you.. My friend and mentor Jon Hinds, founder of the Monkey Bar Gymnasium put out a challenge a couple weeks ago that he's calling the 100 Yard Power Wheel Challenge. For those of you familiar with the Power Wheel I can see you cringing now with the thought of actually crawling 100 yards with the Power Wheel strapped to your feet. We use the Power Wheel at our fitness sessions regularly. It is easily the best full-body, core trainer available on the planet and it was invented by Jon...

Anyways, the challenge was issued and my first thought was "I think I can do that...". So I went out to a grassy field and paced off 100 yards, strapped on the power wheel and off I went.. I took a relatively slow, controlled pace and made it the 100 yards in a grueling 1:55. This really is a brutal test of physical and mental strength. It tests you physically for obvious reasons and it challenges you mentally because your mind is telling you to stop well before you reach 100 yards. So, armed with the knowledge that I could do it I needed to raise the challenge to myself.. Jon did the 100 yards in 1:37. Steve Maxwell, another of the top functional strength and conditioning trainers in the world is on video completing the challenge at 1:47.. I decided I needed to beat 1:30, cutting my initial time by 25%...

This morning we headed out to Stellos Stadium in Nashua, NH to get the attempt on video.. I was feeling pretty strong and I knew the turf stadium at Stellos would be a little quicker than the grass that I had done it on a couple weeks ago. With the power wheel strapped on I set off on a really quick pace and I knew I would be close to 1:30.. I held the pace for about the first 70 yards when the lactic acid really started building up in my core.. I sucked it up and pushed as hard as I could the last 30 yards and came in at 1:19!! 36 seconds faster than my previous time and well below my goal of 1:30.

I rested for about 2 minutes and decided that I wanted to try to do the 100 yards back to the starting point on the power wheel to see if I could do back to back 100 yard crawls. And then I thought about it for a second longer and wondered how crazy it would be if I could do it backwards after just doing it forwards a couple minutes ago.. Now we're talking a serious challenge. I set off from the goal line backwards.. I was going pretty good, not trying to set any speed records, I just wanted to see how far I could go. Realistically, I thought I would be lucky to make it 50 yards backwards. But I did. And I was hurting at 50, but I knew I could go another 10 yards. So I went 10 more yards and decided I could do 10 more. At 70 yards my body and my mind were pleading with me to stop, but having come this far, there was no way my knees were touching the ground until I passed the goal line.. The last 30 yards were agony and seemed like an eternity but I came across the goal line backwards at 1:58.. What a great feeling to push yourself to that level and succeed! Here's the video. Enjoy...


I highly recommend challenging yourself to new levels every once in a while... It keeps you strong both mentally and physically and it's a great feeling achieving things that you might initially have thought not possible.

Kevin

No comments: