Let's start with a quiz.
Q. How do you know when somebody is on the Paleo Diet?
A. They won't shut up about it.
What is it about dieting that brings out the overzealous fanaticism in people? Dieters adopt a cult mentality and have a black and white answer to what's right and what's wrong. They shave their heads and inscribe the name of the diet on their forearms. At the head of every "diet" is the Jim Jones-ian leader handing out the kool-aid with the type of charisma that could talk a dog off a chuck wagon.
You can tell this is really Paleo because the "C" couldn't actually make the "K" sound until about 500 years ago, so all the Kavemen had available to them in Paleo days was the "K".
As you are aware by now, I am not "Paleo". In fact, I am so non-Paleo that I completely lack back hair (or even chest hair). I eat peanuts, I eat beans, rice, and potatoes, Once or twice a week I eat ice cream which not only has dairy, but sugar. I eat loads of fruit, which as everybody knows contains FRUCTOSE (gasp!). While we're on the issue of fructose, if you are one of the carbophobic lemmings that avoids fruit because of it's fructose content I would like you to call your mother and apologize for wasting the brain that she gave you at birth. According to most of the heavily marketed diets out there right now, I should be over 30% bodyfat, type 2 Diabetic with my sclerotic arteries slamming shut at such an alarming rate that I will probably be dead by the time you're reading this. Assuming I can even get it posted. Hell, I just had bread with my dinner.
Q. What if I increase my activity?
A. Eat more (unless you want to lose weight, then eat less)
A. Eat less
A. Get at least 5 hours of activity per week, 3 of it with high intensity strength and/or interval work.
A. Great question! Go by the 90% rule. If you adhere to the NRD for 90% of your intake, you can have what you want for the other 10%. I'm good for one or two bowls of ice cream a week, and a Thursday night feast at Tacos Colima. This accounts for less than 10% of my intake. The rest of the time I adhere to the NRD. I haven't been above single digit bodyfat in 6 years. I exercise between 7 and 10 hours a week, most of that on the weekend. I haven't been sick since well before I started Dynamic 4 years ago, in light of the fact that I am regularly around people that come in when they have all kinds of nasty ailments so they can "sweat it out" at the gym.
But apparently you can buy a t-shirt?
Coming soon. A 30 Day Challenge with a complete NRD intervention for 2 lucky Dynamic members.... Stay tuned :)