Saturday, October 31, 2009

Now We Know

Believe it or not, it's been 1 year since Dynamic Strength and Conditioning has opened it's doors. Hundreds of people have made the climb to the top of 100 Factory.. Those who have stayed have gotten in better shape than they've ever been in. They've experienced increases in strength, endurance, energy, mobility and best of all, quality of life. Trust me, I'm not overstating the affect that Dynamic Strength and Conditioning has had on people's lives. We've become increasingly more active, have gotten healthier, and are enjoying our lives more than before we started coming. That's what sets us apart from every other gym around. We change lives. We've created a family of diverse people from all walks of life, put them in a room together for an hour at a time where they absolutely work their asses off, feed off each other's energy and support. We've created a bond. We know something that other's don't. We've found the secret.. I remember when I had a job that used to suck the life out of me on a daily basis. I didn't eat right. I drank too much. I didn't sleep right. My workouts at Planet Shitness sucked... I would be driving to work in a haze at 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning. It would be November and it would be dark and cold. I'd see a guy almost every day riding his bike. Flying down the road. Covered from head to toe braving the elements. I would ask myself "what does he know that i don't?".. Now I know. Everybody that comes to our gym knows. They come in at 6:00am. The gym is 52 degrees and people are shivering waiting for the warmup. We warm up and the layers start coming off. We loosen up our joints with some mobility exercises and get into the workout. We're swinging kettlebells, jumping rope, jumping on boxes, crawling around on the floor, throwing medicine balls around. We push ourselves to our limit, wanting to stop before the timer beeps at 40 seconds, but out of the corner of our eye we see the woman next to us still going strong and there's no fucking way we're stopping until the timer tells us to. We join the 90 Day Challenge because we're sick of our workouts that don't work and our diets that are just plain stupid. We want to be able to move like we did when we were kids. We don't want to be a bulked up mess of blown up pecs, biceps, and deltoids. We want real strength. We get in a room full of people who all want the same thing. We work ourselves harder than we ever have in a gym. We lose so much fat that our clothes start to fall off. We laugh at ourselves when we see how uncoordinated we've become after years of sitting behind a desk, lifting weights and walking on treadmills. We surprise ourselves as we move from doing jumps on a 6" box to a 12" box. We throw a tire on the top of the 24" box and make it a 36" and do reps for 40 seconds. People cheer. It's so cool it gives me chills to witness it sometimes.


Wednesday afternoon it was 40 degrees and raining like hell. I had a 2 hour ride with 30 minutes worth of intervals that needed to get done so I covered myself head to toe to brave the elements and headed out the door. At one point I was coming down a hill at a little under 40 MPH and it was absolutely pouring out. A dump truck passed me at about the same speed I was going so it took him a while to actually get by me. Know how much spray a dump truck throws off in torrential rain? You've seen it on the highway.. So he's passing me about 2 ft off my handlebars. And he was there f..o..r..e..v..e..r... It was like going through a car wash on a bike at 40 MPH for about 200 yards. I could see absolutely nothing, my bike is shaking all over the place, and the thought ran through my mind that this might be my last bike ride. Well, I made it to the bottom of the hill, the truck pulled away from me, and I was able to compose myself. Then another dump truck blasted by me for good measure, but at that point I was slowed down to about 20 and I just kind of laughed at it... As frightening as it was, it was also incredibly exhilirating.. I'm out on my bike on a day when virtually nobody else would even consider going for a bike ride. I'm in nasty conditions absolutely drilling myself with intervals and having near death experiences with dump trucks. But this is also why I'm now in better shape than about 99.99% of the people on the planet. I started thinking about years ago when I would see that bike rider on my way into work. When I would ask myself "what does he know that i don't?". I don't have to ask that anymore.....


Best,
kevin

2 comments:

Kareem said...

This is why I do it. I have seen and felt myself become increasingly fit and mobile. The days i wake up at 5:30 and just hate myself for forcing my body out of those comfortable sheets are the days it takes to really move forward. Seeing everyone pushing themselves to the absolute limit makes me work that much harder. I have found my calling and will continue getting in better shape through functional conditioning for the rest of my life. Here's to the best gym in the world and the best coach I've ever had. Thanks Coach Buck!

Kareem said...

DISCONCUS-Discipline, Consistency, Focus.
Kareem